A number of GP practices in Lanarkshire will be opening on the weekend throughout January to help meet the increased need for GP appointments as a result of the exceptionally high levels of winter illness.
Over 50% Lanarkshire’s 103 general medical practices, covering half of the local population, are opening on Saturday mornings in January from 8.30am to 12.30pm. Patients who feel that they need to see a doctor should call their practice.
They will be triaged in the normal way and anyone requiring an urgent appointment will be prioritised. If your practice is closed and you need urgent health advice, please contact NHS24 on 111 in the normal way.
The list of Lanarkshire medical practices opening on Saturday mornings will be updated each week. Practices opening this Saturday, 20 January are:
- Tinto Medical Practice, Airdrie Community Health Centre, 88 Graham Street, Airdrie
- Dr D Walker, Airdrie Community Health Centre, 88 Graham Street, Airdrie
- Wellwynd Practice, Airdrie Community Health Centre, 88 Graham Street, Airdrie
- Thistle Medical Practice, Airdrie Community Health Centre, 88 Graham Street, Airdrie
- Adam Avenue Practice, Airdrie Community Health Centre, 88 Graham Street, Airdrie.
- Bruce Medical Centre, 2 Pollock Street, Mossend, Bellshill
- John St Surgery, c/o Bellshill C H Clinic, Greenmoss Place, Bellshill
- Mossend Surgery, 494 Main Street, Bellshill.
- Dr A M D Goldie & Partners, Health Centre, South Croft Road, Biggar
- Blackwood Medical Practice, 125 Carlisle Road, Blackwood
- Auchinraith Medical Practice, Blantyre Health Centre, Victoria Street, Blantyre
- Dr C M McCann, Ardoch Medical Centre, 6 Ardoch Grove, Cambuslang
- The Craigallian Avenue Practice, 11 Craigallian Avenue, Cambuslang
- Ardoch Medical Practice, Ardoch Medical Centre, 6 Ardoch Grove, Cambuslang
- Dr Brough & Partners, 30 Lauchope Street, Chapelhall
- Jamieson Medical Practice, 2 Cliffvale Road, Chryston
- Centenary Surgery, 9 Centenary Gardens, Coatbridge
- The Faraday Medical Practice, Coatbridge Health Centre, No.1 Centre Park Court, Coatbridge
- Dr K B P Singh & Partner, Blairgrove Surgery, Coatbridge Health Centre, 1 Centre Park Court, Coatbridge
- Waverley Medical Practice, Coatbridge Health Centre, 1 Centre Park Court, Coatbridge
- Dr U Handa & Partners, Condorrat Health Centre, 16 Airdrie Road, Condorrat, Cumbernauld
- Kenilworth Medical Centre, 1 Kenilworth Court, Greenfaulds, Cumbernauld
- Douglasdale Medical Practice, 69 Ayr Road, Douglas
- Dr I A Hathorn & Partners, Greenhills Health Centre, 20 Greenhills Square, East Kilbride
- Dr M M Herbert & Partners, 51 Portland Park, Hamilton
- Dr J Fulton & Partners, Wellhall Medical Centre, 4 Hillhouse Road, Hamilton
- Oak Lodge, 32 Miller Street, Hamilton
- Douglas Street Surgery, 1 Douglas Street, Hamilton
- Hamilton West Medical Practice, 53 Burnbank Road, Hamilton
- Dr S L Russell & Partners, Cadzow Health Centre, 187 Low Waters Road, Hamilton
- Dr J M Simpson & Partners, Low Waters Medical Centre, 11 Mill Road, Hamilton
- Dr M K Rao & Partner, 43/45 Main Street, Holytown
- Kilsyth Medical Partnership, Kilsyth Community Health Centre, Airdrie Road, Kilsyth
- The Lanark Doctors, Woodstock Medical Centre, Woodstock Road, Lanark
- Dr N Balkrishna, 4/6 Gallowhill, Larkhall
- The Surgery, 75 Union Street, Larkhall
- Glebe Medical Practice, Glebe Medical Centre, Abbeygreen, Lesmahagow
- The Well Medical Practice, Motherwell Health Centre, 138-144 Windmillhill Street, Motherwell
- Dr L Bell & Partners, Motherwell Health Centre, 138-144 Windmillhill Street, Motherwell
- Dr A Porte and Partners, Glencairn Medical Practice, Modyrvale, Toll Street, Motherwell.
- Newarthill Medical Practice, 15 Carfin Road, Newarthill
- MacInnes Medical Centre, 60/64 High Street, Newarthill
- Dr N P M Dear & Partners, Newmains Health Centre, 17 Manse Road, Newmains
- Manse Road Medical Centre, 18 Manse Road, Newmains
- Drs Tierney & Canning, Rutherglen Primary Care Centre, 130 Stonelaw Road, Rutherglen
- Rosehall Surgery, 269 Station Road, Dykehead, Shotts
- Stepps Surgery, 131 Cumbernauld Road, Stepps
- Lincluden Medical Centre, 82 Bellshill Road, Uddingston
- Old Mill Surgery, Viewpark Health Centre, 119 Burnhead Street, Uddingston
- The Willow Practice, Viewpark Health Centre, 119 Burnhead Street, Viewpark, Uddingston
- Logan Practice, Houldsworth Centre, Kenilworth Avenue, Wishaw
- Branchalwood Medical Practice, Houldsworth Centre, Kenilworth Avenue, Wishaw
- Calder Valley Surgery, Houldsworth Centre, Kenilworth Avenue, Wishaw
The move is one of the measures being put in place by NHS Lanarkshire in response to the unprecedented levels of winter illness. Both GP practices and hospitals are facing exceptionally high numbers of patients suffering from winter illnesses.
Dr Iain Wallace, Medical Director for NHS Lanarkshire, said: “We are working closely with our general medical practice colleagues to respond to the increased need for GP appointments. We’ve asked all practices to consider extending their opening hours to cover Saturday mornings in January and we’ve had a great response, with an extended GP service being offered to half of the Lanarkshire population and more practices coming on-board.
“This increased capacity will help meet the high level of requests for urgent GP appointments and address the difficulty that some patients are experiencing.
“We want to ensure that our GPs can see the patients where only a GP can help and would remind everyone of all the options available including health advice from your local pharmacist and NHS Inform – www.nhsinform.scot - to help with self care for illness such as colds, coughs, sore throats and viruses.
“We are also appealing to anyone feeling unwell not to visit a relative or friend in hospital, to reduce the risk of infections spreading to hospital patients.”
Dr Iain Wallace, Medical Director for NHS Lanarkshire, offers an update - and three key points of advice - on winter health. Watch here: https://vimeo.com/249798643